Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 3 July 2, 2014

Day 3  July 2, 2014

Headed east from Lake Bluff, Illinois to get my first glimpse of nearby Lake Michigan's shoreline.  Instead, ended up in the expert hands of barber Corey in a friendly all-black barbershop for some overdue necessary physical alterations to my ragged appearance.  Corey explained to me that this was a momentous day for me as it was the first time anyone would have ever applied Afro Sheen to my rapidly receding follicle count.  After a generous tip, he wished me well on my journey to Alaska, and we marked the occasion by photographing each other. 

I headed north and stopped at the Wisconsin border to obtain maps and tourist information and arrived after a drenching rainstorm at the home of Chuck and Judy Lerner just north of Milwaukee, dear friends from Temple Sholom for many many years.

They provided me with a wonderful comfortable room in the loft of their Milwaukee bungalow home and a delicious brunch of fresh fruit, bagels, cream cheese lox, tomato and onion.  Poifect!

After a lively chat session catching up with each other I was thrilled to receive a visit from their beautiful daughter Sharon, and meet her two handsome children, Ezra and Shira before checking out their synagogue to marvel at its treasures and beautiful sanctuary.

I learned that there is a gigantic music festival in Milwaukee each year called Summerfest.  This very night, The Dave Matthews band was to appear!  We went through all kinds of gyrations to travel to and walk the Lakefront area near the Summerfest and for me to try to get the ticket to see the concert.  The $86 indoor seating ticket price was too steep and outdoor seating was sold out so the evening plan did not go as hoped. Rain and heavy drizzle made the outdoor event less appealing, so I took a pass on the seemingly good concert-going opportunity.  Instead, we went out for a delightful Italian meal and I enjoyed learning about pizza cut Milwaukee style into squares instead of triangles. 


Upon return back to the Lerner home, fell asleep in nano seconds.

1 comment: