Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 19 Friday, July 18, 2014


 


Day 19    Thursday July 18, 2014
Mindful of the considerable time needed to eat breakfast, and break camp in time to catch the 06:30 A.M. bus leaving for the Visitor’s Center from Wonder Lake Campground, I was up before 5:00 A.M. to boil up water for instant oatmeal and hot tea inside the tent.  Finishing my early morning breakfast, I unzipped the tent to check the morning’s weather.  I was blown away with an absolutely crystal-clear view of the entire south face of Mt. McKinley up to the summit, a very rare occurrence also being enjoyed by many awe-struck fellow tent campers who were out of their tents staring at the sight.
I folded up my tent and poles and deposited them in the camp’s bear-proof trash can, following my original plan to lighten the load (I have a newer tent at home) and headed to my rendezvous with Mona, driver of the 06:30 A.M. bus for the 84-mile drive back to the Denali Visitor Center.  Mona was outside of her bus, staring at view of Mt. McKinley.  She commented, and I quote her exactly, “What a special, perfect morning!  I can’t recall the last time it has been clear here in the morning,” and later at a stop en route to view Mt. McKinley again en route, “I can’t even remember the last time I even had a reason to stop at this location on the 6:30 A.M. bus run back to the Visitor Center!”
Mona told me that, as her Summer job she had worked as a driver for the Aramark Company, subcontracting to the National Park Service (headquartered in Philadelphia) for the past 10 years at Denali National Park as a non-benefited employee.  When I commented that it was unfortunate that she did not qualify to receive benefits, she waved her arm across the magnificent scenery and exclaimed to me, “these are my benefits!” 
I told her my tale of riding the motorcycle to Alaska and the chance meeting with Paul yesterday who promised to buy the motorcycle from me this morning.  Mona was excited to hear my trip stories and as we said good-bye at the drop-off point, she hoped that I would someday return to Denali with my wife, wished me all the best with the sale of the bike, and told me “you have a gentle soul”.  Nice, huh?
I excitedly repacked the bike (again!) and rode back to the town of Healy and to the strip mall with the One-Hour Photo Shop, eager to sell my motorcycle to Paul as planned.  He was standing in front of the shop talking with someone as I dismounted and approached him.  After a moment of small talk, he told me that he had decided to pass on buying the K 75 S from me. I swallowed my intense surprise and disappointment and I said, “O.K.  I’ve got to get going to Anchorage”, and remounted and immediately left to gas up for the 240-mile ride to Anchorage to pick up The Bev tonight at the Airport.  Ah, crap.
The 240-mile ride through Wassila into Anchorage was without drama.  Asking around, I learned that the local Suzuki and Harley dealerships would be good places to approach about selling my motorcycle on a consignment basis.  After multiple miscues, I bumbled my way to the University of Alaska at Anchorage (U.A.A.) dormitory holding our reservations for a suite for tonight.  Entering the “suite” I found that it consisted of two separate rooms, each with a single dorm-style twin bed, completely inconsistent with romance after a three-week absence from my wife’s considerable charms.  Crap, yet again.
After a laundry session in the sink and another repacking session I left for the airport to pick up The Bev.  I rode underground into the rental car return area and told the Alamo reps that I was a customer renting a vehicle for my wife and must park in this area so she could follow me out of the airport to our hotel to avoid armageddon.  To my amazement, they agreed to allow me to park my motorcycle in an out-of-way corner. 
Beverly arrived, right on time, and after an emotional greeting, I installed her in the rental car and she closely followed me on my K 75 S back to the U.A.A. to our suite of dorm rooms.  Quite the day for us both, but alone no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment