Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 2  July 1,2014

Showered and shaved I left the campground about 8:30 AM to find no one still on duty to accept my camping fee for last nights lodgings, so I left the campground with many thanks to the state of Ohio for a free night of camping.

First stop was in Newark Ohio home of the Longaberger Basket Company.  Their headquarters building just outside of Newark, Ohio is famous.  It's an office building that is seven stories high and fashioned to look like the world's largest basket. Photos were in order.

Ten hours of hard, but good riding to get to Chicago for the 7:10 P.M. White Sox baseball game.

Funny story about that weather "situation":

I arrived in Chicago and found my way to the White Sox stadium after an exhausting 500 mile + day of travel.   I was able to locate free motorcycle parking right on the sidewalk/apron next to the stadium, park and cover the bike.   The game with the Los Angeles Angels was scheduled to begin at 7:10 PM and I entered the stadium at 7:50 PM, 40 minutes late.  I purchased a hot dog and a soda and went to my seat, sat down, and began to watch the game in progress.  I was astonished to see that the game was in the ninth inning, with two outs and the home team batting!  I could not understand how they could have possibly played nine innings and scored 11 runs in 40 minutes!  I asked a fellow fan to fill me in on what time this game had started and why I was about to see exactly one out before the game's conclusion.  He then explained the mystery – the drenching that Chicago received the previous night cancelled the Monday night game-the game that I was watching was the first of a rescheduled doubleheader, so I had not missed the Tuesday night game that I came to see at all.  Go figure.

Anyway, the second game went off a bit later and the weather was completely perfect and the game against Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels was quite enjoyable.



The Angels won the game 7 to 5 and I left the stadium and headed north towards Milwaukee.  I found a cheap hotel for the night in Lake Bluff, Illinois for $50.  Fair enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment