Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 10 July 9, 2014

After a really good night of bunk-bed sleep in my cozy room of 8, I fired up the bike and made my way to my pre-arranged appointment at "Anderwerks Motorrad Spezialist" motorcycle shop to have the two brand new tires that I dragged up to Calgary installed and have a oil change and filter done on the bike.  After 3 1/2 hours of waiting I was handed the amazing bill- $384!  Yikes.  I thought it would be well under $200, but their $91 per hour labor rate kinda squashed that dream.

I walked around downtown Calgary's Stevens Street pedestrian outdoor mall and was surprised to see so many people dressing up in western wear- cowbot hat, jeans, boots.  Seems that Calgarians dress up this way to celebrate the Calgary Stampede.  I doubt that they dress up like Orthodox Jews during the High Holy Days or like Muslims during Ramadan, but, hey if it rocks your world........

I was able to figure out how to purchase my ticket to the Chuck Wagon Races/evening show combo at the Stampede grounds for $56 tonight.

Finally, going into the Stampede Grounds (right across the street from the Wicked Hostel!) I was overwhelmed by the amazing amount of junky foods for sale, featuring deep-fried everything- oooooo, yuck!  Deep fried pies and deep fried vegetables?  Hmmmm....



I went to the Chuck Wagon Races and the evening show- in 1 hour and 45 minutes of time, they ran nine one-minute races.  I found the entire thing underwhelming and borderline nonsensical.  Two roomates, Jim from London, and Josh, from Australia, went to the same event and left after only two races due  to boredom.  Not a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment